This is one of my favorite recipes for a few reasons besides the obvious – peanut butter and chocolate – those being:
- It’s easy. I am a very big fan of easy recipes. When I’m searching good ole’ google for a new recipe I almost always type “easy….” and then go from there.
- It can be made as traditional granola or as chewy granola bars.
- It’s versatile (see #2). If you want to leave out the peanut butter you can have just chocolate granola or vice versa. You can leave out the peanut butter and cocoa, or you can add any other add-ins you prefer. I’ll list some suggestions below.
- It’s sugar and gluten free. So if you know someone who is sensitive to these things it’s easy to accommodate.
Onto the recipe..
Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 & 1/2 cup oats
Extra ingredients needed for bars:
- 3 eggs
- Heaping tablespoon baking powder
- Optional add-ins (listed below)
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In a large bowl or a pot, mix and heat all ingredients except for oats. Once mixed together add in oats until they are evenly covered.
- Spread on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake on 300 for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Completely cool on counter.
- double recipe
- add 3 eggs and heaping tablespoon baking powder
- bake in greased 9×13 at 325 for 15-20 minutes.
Suggestions and add-ins:
This recipe is not super sweet. If you’re looking for something to knock your sweet craving out I’d recommend pouring some chocolate chips on top of the granola after you take it out of the oven. Gently mix them around. Once cooled you will have bigger, extra chocolaty clumps of granola goodness.
For bars I like to make one recipe with cocoa and one recipe with peanut butter. I put one layer of either in the pan, top with peanuts, and put remaining layer on top, so you have a layered chocolate, peanut butter granola bar with a little crunch in the middle.
Some other tasty add-ins:
- chocolate chips
- dried cranberries
- whatever your taste buds desire!